Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Moot Court

And just like that, oral arguments are done. The two months of moot court researching, writing, editing ad nauseum all came to a head in one 15-minute span last night. I didn't do spectacularly well. I didn't bomb. The arguments were mostly, well, unremarkable. Anticlimatic.

Two of the "judges" were CLS alumni -- one recent, one not so much -- and the third judge was a 3L. I barely got past the "May it please the court, I will be counsel for the appellant on the issue of..." before I was interrupted by a judge asking his first question. The rest of the session was a back and forth that touched on most of the major contentions in my brief. Unfortunately, I couldn't come up with any witty rejoinders to their pointed questions, but I managed to eke out coherent sentences, at least most of the time.

As a side note: I know I've neglected this blog. Why? The short answer is I've been busy, but that's unsatisfying, because that also means there are a lot of potential things I could be blogging about. But there's been so much going on -- board elections for student organizations, hosting admitted students, applications for secondary journals, moot court, clinic and externship applications, not to mention all our regular school work on top of that -- that I've just been trying to wade through it all without forgetting something I need to turn in, or a place I need to be. There just hasn't been that much for intelligent reflection. Unfortunately, with finals a month away, it's only going to get busier.

No comments:

Post a Comment